Keto pizza soup is all the flavors of pizza in a warm and comforting bowl of soup. Italian sausage, pepperoni, veggies, and cheese are simmered in a rich and creamy tomato broth guaranteed to make any pizza lover giddy over this soup and recipe!
I think my favorite way to eat Keto pizza soup is “leftover”, the flavors are even better the next day. If love to meal prep, this soup makes a great option. Consider buying single-serve containers so you can grab a container toss it into the microwave and dive in!
Finally, this is one of those recipes you can make your own, I love experimenting with flavors. While the recipe below is our go-to standard some additional add-in options are bacon, red onions, and jalapenos. My son says pineapple belongs on every pizza (but I have to admit I have not tried it, but if you are brave and do, let me know how it turns out!)
How to make Keto Pizza Soup…
Start off by browning your Italian sausage, draining any excess grease once cooked. I then add my sliced mushrooms to the browned sausage and with my meat chopper break them in to bite-size pieces.
Next add the remaining ingredients except for the cheese and heavy whipping cream, and allow to simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
Finally, add your shredded mozzarella cheese stirring as you go. Once the cheese has melted add the heavy whipping cream and simmer for about 5 minutes longer.
Serve Keto Pizza soup optionally garnished with parmesan cheese or even some fresh herbs like basil.
Tips and Tricks…
Be sure to drain any excess grease from the Italian sausage once browned. Using a pair of tongs and a paper towel pinched between them works great to sop up the grease with little to no mess.
Get creative with the ingredients… Bacon, onions, and even jalapenos will make great additions to this soup! You can even replace the pepperoni or Italian sausage with your favorites.
I use a meat chopper when I brown ground meats – this is one of my favorite and most used kitchen gadgets! Use the meat chopped to break down the mushrooms (especially If you have picky eaters in the house!) My kids claim they don’t care for mushrooms but can’t even tell they are in the soup when chopped up a bit! If you don’t have a meat chopper, I seriously recommend getting one – they are the kitchen tool that will leave you scratching your head about how you survived without it.
Top the soup off with extra mozzarella, parmesan or some fresh herbs like basil.
Use freshly shredded Mozzarella cheese, pre-shredded cheeses have anti caking agents what may prevent the cheese from melting properly and can adjust the texture of the soup.
Use single-serve containers to portion out servings and meal prep. Pack it in your lunch and warm it up in the office microwave – left over keto pizza soup is even better the next day! If you are looking for more keto soup options I will point you here where you will find some of our family favorites like Broccoli Cheddar, Clam Chowder, Creamy Chicken and “Rice” and Chili – ALL KETO!
Want some Italian inspired Keto Recipes here are a few of our favorites!
Keto Pizza Soup
- 1 lb Italian Sausage
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 14.5 oz Cans Diced Tomatoes
- 32 oz Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 oz pepperoni cut in quarters
- 1 lg Bell Pepper I used red (diced)
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning dried
- 2.25 oz can sliced black olives
- 1.5 cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (hand shredded from a block)
- 1/2 cup Heavy whipping Cream
- Start off by browning your Italian sausage, draining any excess grease once cooked.
- Add sliced mushrooms (I break mine down with a meat chopper or spatula)
- Add diced tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, pepperoni, bell pepper, garlic salt, Italian seasoning, and black olives. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook for 20 minutes.
- Add Shredded Mozzarella cheese stirring until melted and combined. Finally add heavy whipping cream and simmer for a final 5 minutes.
- Serve Keto Pizza soup with optional garnishes, parmesan cheese or fresh herbs like basil are great additions.