I love the Creamy Cheesy Pull of a crispy Mozzarella Cheese Stick. This Keto/Low Carb Mozzarella Cheese Stick recipe will WOW your socks off! I have always been a sucker for Fried Cheese! I could stop writing this blog right here because, the picture of these Keto/Low Carb Mozzarella Cheese Sticks speaks for itself. But I’m not….
The inspiration for creating Keto/Low Carb Mozzarella Cheese Sticks comes from one of my favorite places. I grew up in Pennsylvania, and the Centre County Grange Fair is a happening place in late August every year. For me it holds a lot of great memories of family, friends and of course FOOD!
What is this Fair?
The Grange Fair is an annual fair and camping event held in Centre Hall, Pennsylvania. The Centre County Grange Encampment and Fair began in 1874 as the “Granger’s Pic-nik.” The “pic-nik” was an opportunity for recreation and also education on the advancements of agriculture. Today it is the only remaining tent fair in the nation! It includes 1,000 tents and 1,500 RVs. People make their home here for a week every year! (Seriously, beds, refrigerators and TV’s are just a few of the things you might find in these big green army tents!)
It remains an agricultural fair. When you visit you will find over 7,000 exhibit items like baked goods, produce, flowers and sewing projects from local Centre County residents. As well you can check out the Livestock competitions. These are an especially fond memory of mine, as I was able showcase my 4-H and FFA projects including dairy cows, pigs and rabbits.
Then there are the concessions, hundreds of them. There is food for days, including Fried Cheese! These Keto/Low Carb Mozzarella Cheese Sticks take me to the great memories of this Grange Fair every time, and they are easy to make!
How to Make Keto/Low Carb Mozzarella Cheese Sticks…
Keto/Low Carb Mozzarella Cheese Sticks are made with string cheese. They take a little bit of patience, as it is a good idea to freeze these after they are prepared and prior to frying. Believe me I have little to no patience at times, and as a result found myself with a pan of melted cheese. This step is important.
Set up a Breading Station with two separate bowls. One bowl for the Egg wash and another for the breading. (Almond Flour and Parmesan Cheese Mixture) (Note: Whisk the egg)
Dip your Cheese first in the egg wash, then roll in breading, back into the egg wash and a final roll into the breading. Place these on a parchment lined plate or pan carefully. These gems are going to take a trip to the freezer for at minimum 45 minutes, but preferably and hour and a half, as a result the cheese will remain inside the breading when frying! Remember Patience!
I use my Cast Iron Skillet to fry these up. They do not require a deep fryer. A Pan with a half inch of oil is more than enough and you turn them as they brown. I use silicone tongs like these. Keto/Low Carb Mozzarella Cheese Sticks go great with Marinara Sauce and I have a great Keto Version here.
I hope these Keto/Low Carb Mozzarella Cheese Sticks bring you as much joy as they do for my family! I plan to do some testing with my air fryer, and will be sure to post back with my results! Enjoy – The Scrambled Eggs
Keto/Low Carb Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
- 8-10 String Cheese Sticks
- 3/4 Cup Almond Flour
- 1/3 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp Parsley optional
- Oil for frying
- Cut your String Cheese Sticks in half.
- Prepare a Breading Station – 2 Bowls. First bowl put the eggs and whisk them with a fork. Second bowl combine the Almond flour, Parmesan Cheese and Parsley.
- Take your cut (half of string cheese) and dip it in the egg mixture, roll in the breading (Almond flour, parm cheese and parsley) then back into the egg wash and a final roll in the breading.
- Place breaded cheese sticks on a parchment lined plate or pan.
- Freeze for a minimum of 45 minutes but preferably 90 minutes. This prevents the cheese from melting out during frying.
- Add oil to your frying pan (I use cast iron skillet) just about a 1/4 to half inch you don't need much.
- Add a few cheese sticks at a time and turn them as they start to brown.
- When they are golden on the outside move them to a cooking rack, this will keep them crispy while they cool.
- Enjoy these with Keto Marinara sauce (you can find my recipe here)
This looks wonderful and sounds easy. Will have to try them.