Keto Tiramisu is layers of delicate mascarpone cream and coffee-drenched sponge the perfect indulgence without all of the sugar! We recently had some good friends over for dinner and games and they brought a beautiful Tiramisu for dessert. Tiramisu was something I had not had in quite some time and while I had a few tiny bites of the sugar filled cake, I knew I could replicate a keto version and it had to be done quickly, a full slice was all I could think about!
How to make Keto Tiramisu…
There are three separate elements to Keto Tiramisu. The Sponge cake (regularly made with lady fingers), the Coffee and brandy drizzle for the sponge and finally the delicate mascarpone cream. Constructed into the perfect dessert.
The cake simply starts by creaming your sweetener and butter until fluffy. Next you add your eggs, whipping cream and vanilla and mix on med speed until fluffy. Finally add your Almond flour, baking powder and salt and mix for an additional 2 minutes on med-high speed. Pour the batter into a parchment lined cookie sheet smoothed out with a spatula. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Set the cake aside to cool.
Next you will work on your filling. Using a double boiler over simmering water add your egg yolks and allulose sweetener (see tips and tricks). Whisking constantly cook for 7 minutes or until the mixture has lighted and is fluffy. Pull from the heat and set aside. In a separate bowl whip, the heavy cream until it forms stiff peaks. Back to the yolk mixture with a hand mixer on low speed mix until well combined. Finally fold your mascarpone and egg yolk mixture into the whipped cream.
Back to the cake its time to add the special sauce, expresso and brandy! In a small bowl combine your espresso and brand and drizzle evenly over the cooled cake. Cut the cake into 3 even sections they will end up be 11×5 inch cakes. Lift the first cake out and place on cake plate, using just shy of 1/3 of the filling begin spreading the first cream layer following by the second cake and repeat. Top the cake with the final sponge and cover with remaining cream. Optionally dust the finished cake with cocoa powder and shaved chocolate I love Lilly’s. Find it here.
Place Keto Tiramisu in the refrigerator for 6-8 hours to allow the filling to set. Store any leftovers in the fridge – if it lasts that long! Hope you enjoy this amazing keto treat
Tips and Tricks…
I use allulose and highly recommend it for the filling as it is one sweetener that will not crystalize when it cools like many other sugar substitutes. Allulose will retain the creamy smooth cream, its a must have in this recipe.
If you don’t have a double boiler you can use a bowl set on top of a pot of simmering water just be careful to use a pot holder to hold in place as the bowl will get hot.
Parchment Paper is necessary to help lift the cake slices out of the sheet pan without breaking.
To get even more layers for an elegant cake spread the sponge batter out on two cookie sheets for 6 layers of sponge. Reduce cook time and use less filling between layers!
Looking for other great desserts check out some of our favorites here:
- 11×15 Cookie Sheet
- Parchment paper
- double boiler or pot with small bowl to make your own!
- 1/3 cup Butter
- 1/3 cup Monk fruit Sweetener or keto sweetener of your choice
- 3 lg Eggs
- 1/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups Almond Flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Espresso or really strong coffee
- 2 tbsp Brandy optional – but I highly suggest it!
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 1/4 cup Allulose
- 8 oz Mascarpone Cheese
- 1 cup Heavy whipping Cream
- Cocoa Powder for dusting- optional
- Shaved Keto Chocolate for topping – optional
- Line a 11×15 cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Combine sweetener and Butter and mix unat high speed with hand mixer until fluffy
- Add eggs, heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract and mix on high speed until fluffy and combined.
- Add dry ingredients (almond flour, baking powder and salt) and mix on med-high speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour the batter into the lined cookie sheet and spread out with a spatula
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350 until firm and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Set aside and allow to cool completely.
- In a double boiler over simmering water combine the egg yolks and powdered sweetener. Whisking constantly, cook for 7 minutes or until the mixture is light yellow and creamy.
- Remove from the heat and with a hand mixer blend at low speed to whip the yolks and sweetener until thick. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Add the mascarpone to the cooked yolk and sweetener mixture and mix at low speed until combined.
- Fold the mascarpone yolk and sweetener mixture to the whipped cream.
Constructing the Tiramisu
- In a small bowl combine espresso and brandy
- Drizzle the espresso and brandy mixture evenly over the cake
- Cut the cake in 3 even sections about 5 inches each. This should leave you with 3 11×5 inch cakes.
- Lift out the first cake and place on serving platter. Top the cake with just shy of a 1/3 of the filling mixture.
- Top with another cake and repeat with topping with filling.
- Finally, the last layer and any remaining filling. I suggest a little less than 1/3 of the filling on the first two layers so you can cover the whole cake including the sizes.
- Optional Finishing touch – Sift cocoa powder through a sieve over the tiramisu and shave keto chocolate (Lilly's chocolate bars are a great option).
- Refrigerate for 4-6 hours to set – Enjoy!