Quick and Easy Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup on the table in less than 30 minutes. Checking all the Keto, Low Carb, Gluten Free and Vegetarian Boxes! It’s spring time as I post this recipe and soup is not likely the first thing on your mind, but when April Showers bring a chill to the air, its the perfect soup serve up.
My kids do back flips when they hear Broccoli Cheese Soup is for lunch or dinner! I do back flips because it is so easy! This soup can even be made in a crockpot! Generally Broccoli Cheese soup is thickened with flour or cornstarch. These ingredients are considered a “NO-NO” when you are watching your carb intake or gluten free. This soup gets it thick and creamy texture from the cream and cheeses!
How to make Broccoli Cheese Soup…
Start off by combining your frozen broccoli and vegetable broth in a heavy bottom pot or dutch oven. Bring this mixture to a simmer and cook until the broccoli softens about 5-7 minutes. Next add 8 oz (one block) of cream cheese (softened). Cook the soup until the cream cheese has melted and is combined fully into the broth.
By this point the broccoli should be tender and easily broken apart with a spoon or meat chopper. I use a meat chopper, this is one of the most useful and inexpensive tools I have in my kitchen. Next add the Heavy whipping cream, shredded Parmesan and cheddar cheese to the pot and cook until melted and combined. Last add some salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.
Crock Pot Version: To make this recipe in the crock pot simply add all of the ingredients except the cheddar cheese. Add Vegetable stock, Broccoli, softened cream cheese, whipping cream and parmesan cheese. Give it a good stir, cover and cook on low for 2 hours. Before serving stir well and break apart the broccoli into the perfectly sized pieces for your soup. Add the shredded cheddar cheese, allow to melt completely, add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks…
If you prefer a thicker soup you can reduce the vegetable stock by one cup. Once the cheese has been combined and soup is ready to serve check the consistency. If its too thick, slowly add vegetable broth back in until your reach your perfect consistency.
Fresh Broccoli takes a little longer to cook than frozen broccoli used in this recipe. Add some additional time to the recipe if using fresh.
Dice up your cream cheese in cubes to help melt quickly.
Use a meat chopper to get the perfect bite size pieces of broccoli in your soup.
Quick and Easy Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Large pot or Dutch oven – can also be made in a crock pot
- 24 oz Fresh or Frozen Broccoli I use frozen
- 32 oz Vegetable Broth One 32 oz carton
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream Or creamer of you choice
- 3/4 cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 2 1/2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste I start with 1 tsp Pepper and 1/2 tsp salt but taste and add as necessary.
- In a heavy bottom pot or dutch oven combine broccoli and vegetable broth, bring to a simmer and cook until the broccoli softens about 5-7 minutes.
- Add 1 block of softened cream cheese and cook until cream cheese has melted.
- With a meat chopper or spoon break apart broccoli into small pieces.
- Add Heavy Whipping Cream, Parmesan cheese and cheddar cheese and cook until melted and combined.
- Salt and Pepper to taste