Effortless Keto Clam Chowders is rich and creamy, full of flavor, and “almost” effortless. I have been working to perfect this recipe for quite some time. Take “1”, too clammy, Take “2”, not enough clams, Take “3”….okay you get it, lots of trial and error, but Friends, this recipe for Effortless Keto Clam Chowder is a keeper, it’s downright perfect.
Clam chowder generally includes potatoes. After trying many potato alternatives to make this dish Keto-friendly, I have settled in on my secret ingredient… cauliflower rice as a potato substitution. Don’t leave me, I know cauliflower rice in your clam chowder sounds crazy. If you are not a cauliflower fan (you know who you are) Effortless Keto Clam Chowder will likely change your mind. The cauliflower rice when cooked properly builds the consistency and texture you have come to love from a clam chowder that includes potatoes.
As many of our followers know we live in the pacific northwest. Access to fresh seafood is just a short drive for us (and of course with kids, sand on our toes). Effortless Keto Clam Chowder only requires a trip to the local grocery store with easy-to-find ingredients. We hope you love this recipe as much as we do, so save this one, and be sure to let us know how it turned out!
Tips and Tricks…
No Instant Pot, No Problem! Effortless Keto Clam Chowder can easily be made on the stovetop. To do this I recommend doubling the clam juice and vegetable broth. When doing the initial cooking process as much of the liquid will evaporate during the cooking process. In addition to adding more liquid, increase the cooking time as well. Bring the Clam juice, Vegetable broth, onions, butter, thyme, and cauliflower rice to a boil. Reduce heat and bring to a simmer and increase cook time from 8 minutes (instant pot) to approx 25-30 minutes for stovetop. Once you have completed this step follow the recipe as noted.
If you don’t have microfiber cleaning cloths in your kitchen, you must try them! I use these and they make just about every clean up a breeze – I use different colors depending on what I am cleaning this pack comes in a variety of colors, and I am able to designate different colors to different area’s of the house (wink wink)
If you prefer a creamier consistency, an immersion blender is your friend. Carefully pulse the base to your liking prior to adding the clams, cream cheese, and cream. I love the consistency as is, but an option for those who want a smooth texture.
Room Temperature Cream Cheese is an important step to incorporating into the chowder. If you are looking for a quick tip in getting cream cheese up to room temperature quickly you can cut the cream cheese into small cubes and spread it out on a plate and let sit for 15-20 minutes. Another option is to remove the cream cheese from the foil packaging and microwave in 10-second increments, flipping after every 10 seconds for about 40 seconds total.
Effortless Keto Clam Chowder
- 5-6 slices Thick cut bacon
- 8 oz Clam Juice see notes for stove-top method
- 1/3 cup Vegetable Broth Can use Chicken broth as well, see notes for stove-top method
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1/4 tsp Thyme
- 1 med onion diced
- 2-3 cloves Minced Garlic
- 1 12 oz Bag of frozen cauliflower rice
- 1 8 oz Block cream cheese
- 2 6.5 oz Canned Baby Clams drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- Dice and pre-cook Bacon, drain on a paper towel. (you can do this on saute function in your instant pot to save on dirty dishes!)
- In an instant pot combine, pre-cooked bacon, clam juice, broth, thyme, onion, garlic, butter and cauliflower rice. Stir to combine. Place the lid on the instant pot and set to 8 minutes at high pressure. Once completed allow the instant pot to sit for 3-5 minutes before releasing the pressure.
- On low heat (saute function) add the room temperature cream cheese stirring until melted and combined.
- Drain and rinse the clams and add to the pot, along with the heavy cream, salt and pepper.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes until hot and enjoy.